Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Chair Rescue

We needed a chair for our holiday shack. It didn't need to be large or imposing, just comfortable.

I had just the corner for it and it would complete the conversation square.
I mentioned this to Mr L & R and suggested he should perhaps keep his eye out during council clean up.
I put my order in for what it should look like.
I got a phone call from Mr L & R saying he had seen something that resembled my order along the street on his way to work.
It had been raining so I could only imagine that it probably wouldn't be worth rescuing, however we decided to give it a go and if it was no good we could then dump it.
Home it came and after it had time to dry out we sat on it , it was really comfortable so off to the Humpy it went to see if it belonged in the afore mentioned corner. Just perfect, so off to find some upholstery weight fabric.
First stop Material Obsession and the first bolt we picked we loved or should I say I loved, Mr L & R was a little dubious about the cabbages. He however took some photos of different fabrics on his beloved i phone , over the next week or so he was flicking back across some photos and he said that this particular fabric was really growing on him, whoo hoo the cabbage fabric it was going to be.
That purchased next it was off to the upholsterer Jan. Jan is on the Central Coast just north of Sydney and does the most amazing job. We have had her make slip covers, curtains ,chairs etc. so if you are in this area and need a good upholsterer this is the lady . (just click on the link) so this is the rescued chair, what do you think ?
I think I might claim this seat in the house as it is a perfect spot for sewing, beside a window with wonderful light.
you'll notice the detail of the piping around the seat cushion , so I think a small cushion in the same fabric with finish off the look perfectly.

Until next time
Happy chair hunting
j


28 comments:

Adele said...

Hi Jan

What an absolutely divine chair I see we have similar tastes when it comes to rescuing chairs and recovering them. Just Gorgeous.

Adele xx

Lynda said...

The chair looks magnificent - wonderful fabric choice.

Linda C said...

How amazing! l rescued 2 chairs recently, that are almost the same, each has only one arm, so they make a pair or can be seperate. l love the fabric you chose.

Anonymous said...

wow, wow and more wow, love it.

great rescue

Christine

Unknown said...

Hey Jean. Chair looks great! I have been waiting to see how it turned out since you told me the story. Lol

Sue-Anne said...

WOW!!! it looks fantastic Jean and perfect for a beach house.

antique quilter said...

just beautiful, I LOVE that chair and it would be perfect to just sit and stitch in.
ah yes perfect for a beach house or cottage!
hope there is a few pieces of that fabric left over for your to put into a quilt or two!
Kathie

broderie said...

jean, i love the chair! the chair and the fabric choice by mr l&r was a good one!!! i also stocked up on 'bella' today, so if you're passing by, then i have some!

Janet said...

From an ugly duckling to a swan! It's fantastic Jean and that is my favourite Kaffe fabric. I want one.

Daniëlle said...

Great make-over!! Love the fabric you chose!! Can imagine you sitting in it, doing some sewing hihi!! Hugs, Daniëlle

My Life and Quilting said...

Hi Jean... What a wonderful find... What you did to it, is just stupendace... I just love the finish look... :)

Katharine said...

I love that fabric. I think I might have bought it anyway and hoped to talk my husband around.

Cathy @ CabbageQuilts said...

Oh my oh my Jean...this is adorable...I want one!!! I even touched that same bolt of fabric when i was at Material Obsession! This is one of my classic all time fave fabrics that Kaffe has come out with and it looks magnificent on your chair. Adore the piping and matching cushion. There is no comparison from what the chair was, to what it is now! xo

YankeeQuilter said...

How fun it that! I am in the process of recovering two chairs for my niece's first apartment...she went really traditional though!

Cardygirl said...

Perfect...great fabric!

Mannick...91 said...

This is beautiful !! It is now a new chair and very summer, which should brighten your home.
Godd day. Annick

Michelle said...

Love the chair - the fabric is amazing - and the accent fabric was a perfect choice!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I have a few chairs that need work and this has given me a lot of idea. thanks!

Unknown said...

Love the Make-Over it looks Fabulous.
cheers

Nifty Quilts said...

Wow! Fabulous chair. Just found your blog and love it!

Susan In Texas said...

Oh my gosh, that's a gorgeous chair! I love to see things get resurrected like that. 8)

Susan in Texas

Nat Palaskas said...

I love story like that "waste not want not" end results is a beautiful comfy chair. Love Mr L&R's choice of fabric haha! Hugs Nat

Theresa said...

I love that chair. Good spotting all round!

Radka said...

Love the chair!

Ann Champion said...

I LOVE the make over of your chair. The fabric is the perfect choice and you did a wonderful job on it. It's fun! :)

RG said...

Where are you Jean?? :D
Missing you!!

Bellgirl said...

Wow, it looks wonderful! You've done a great job with the piping and everything.

ParisMaddy said...

Your chair is cheerful and wonderful!